Look what I found! 03/05/2010

• “Chris Dede, a professor of learning technology at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, is a leading authority on online teacher professional development. For 16 years, beginning in the early 1990s, Dede taught a course at HGSE called “Learning Media That Bridge Distance and Time.” The rapid changes in interactive technology during that period brought the potential of online teacher learning into sharp focus for Dede. “I saw it as an important way of scaling up quality instructional practice, and an important lever for education reform, but also I saw that it wasn’t going far very fast,” he explains.

Dede’s investigations into online professional development led him to gather a group of researchers, distance-learning experts, and professional development providers at a conference at Harvard in 2005, and subsequently to publish, as editor, Online Professional Development for Teachers: Emerging Models and Methods (2006). The book, which explores the strengths and tensions of online teacher training, has become a key resource in the field.”

tags: teacher, professional, pd, professionaldevelopment, education

• The PosteRazor cuts a raster image into pieces which can afterwards be printed out and assembled to a poster

tags: poster, photography, opensource, make, posterazor

• “Need a pentagonal pyramid that’s six inches tall? Or a number line that goes from ‑18 to 32 by 5’s? Or a set of pattern blocks where all shapes have one-inch sides? You can create all those things and more with the Dynamic Paper tool. Place the images you want, then export it as a PDF activity sheet for your students or as a JPEG image for use in other applications or on the web.”

tags: math, geometry, worksheets, illuminations, mathematics

• “Welcome to the Siemens STEM Academy site: A premier online community designed exclusively to foster achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) through the collaboration of STEM educators, and sharing of “best practices”.”

tags: stem, science, math, resources, technology

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

One thought on “Look what I found! 03/05/2010

1. Pingback: Dynamic Traders - Education | ModernEducation.info